Student Complaint Policy

Hardin-Simmons University is committed to addressing student concerns in a timely and appropriate manner. The university has developed a series of policies and procedures that provide students the opportunity to file a grievance within the university. These include policies and procedures related to harassment, discrimination, grade appeals, and other academic appeals which are described in the HSU Student Handbook. Students should consult the HSU Student Handbook and follow these policies to as the first step in attempting to resolve a student grievance. For a complaint that is not covered by the policies or procedures described in the Student Handbook, the student should make the nature of the complaint known to the university by filling out the Student Concern Form below and sending it to the appropriate Vice-President or Provost. The student will receive a response within ten working days.

Once a student has exhausted all internal university policies with regard to a complaint (and has made the nature of the complaint known to the university), the student may file a complaint with the regulatory agency in the state in which she or he is receiving instruction and or with the institution’s accrediting agency as provided below.

State Agencies

The University provides instruction for students primarily in the state of Texas. Student complaints in Texas should be addressed to state agency listed below:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

Hardin-Simmons University is a member institution of NC-SARA.

Accrediting Agency

Hardin-Simmons University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Hardin-Simmons University. Please note carefully the following information that defines the types of complaints received by the Commission. The Commission on Colleges only receives complaints with regard to an institution’s compliance with the requirements or standards set forth by the Commission. The Commission should be contacted only if there is evidence that supports significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard of the Commission. Student complaints or concerns related to any other matter must use the procedures outlined above. For additional information on filing a complaint with the Commission on Colleges, see the SACSCOC policies.